In their excellent book, The Truth About Leadership, James Kouzes and Barry Posner talk about ten time-tested “truths” based on their 30 years of research and more that 1 million response to their leadership assessment.
Following are the “truths”:
1. You Make a Difference – leadership begins when you understand you can make a difference.
2. Credibility is the Foundation of Leadership – others have to believe in you to follow you.
3. Values Drive Commitment – People want to know what you stand for and believe in.
4. Focusing on the Future Sets leaders Apart – The capacity to imagine and articulate exciting future possibilities is a defining competence of leaders.
5. You Can’t Do It Alone – Leadership is a team sport. Leaders are obsessed with what is best for others, not themselves.
6. Trust Rules – The level of trust others have in you will determine the amount of influence you have.
7. Challenge Is the Crucible for Greatness – Exemplary leaders are always associated with changing the status quo.
8. You Either Lead by Example or You Don’t Lead at All – You have to go first as a leader.
9. The Best Leaders are the Best Learners – Leaders are constant improvement fanatics.
10. Leadership Is an Affair of the Heart – Love is the motivation that energizes leaders to give so much for others.
Some great truths and a good book to add to your library.
Blessings on your week as you lead others – remember, it is or should be out of love that you lead others.